12.16.2013

an untold story.

Recently I took some time to reflect back over the last year. When I first started this process my initial view of the last year was hard, long and I did a lot of waiting. I lived most of this last year fighting to stay present and hoping that this season would come to a close.

Yet as I processed deeper I had forgotten the ways God was gentle and kind to me amidst the chaos. I realized I have an untold story that I think needs to be told.

Late December/early January of this year, I went to India with 25 amazing people from ROCKHARBOR Church. I had never experienced a trip with that many people where most every one was meeting each other for the first time. For some reason my biggest concern before getting to India was, “what is my role on this team”.  God had been teaching me a lot about serving behind the scenes and servant leadership vs. upfront leadership.  Yet despite that I felt this need to be seen, to take on a teaching role or some sort of ‘upfront leadership’.  I often caught myself stressing out about it. Who am I amongst the 25? Am I supposed to lead or preach? Will I have some big give? I believe my real fear was that I would get lost in the crowd. 

As we spent our first couple of days in India, I realized that my role was to just be me. It was the night of New Years Eve, we were preparing to go to the orphanage and celebrate the 2012 year with all of the kids. All of us ladies finally had the chance to put on our new sarees. The beautiful sarees which were altered to fit each of us, made every girl feel lovely. I found myself helping to wrap girls in their sarees, doing hair, handing out my millions of bangle bracelets and applying henna on anyone who wanted it. In that moment I realized I didn’t need an official role or a defined job. There was joy in doing the simple tasks of helping my teammates, whether it be with their hair or giving out jewelry.

The next day I was on the bus with one of my team leaders Christine. We hadn’t had a chance to chat much but we were on a long bus ride to visit an elderly home so we took the time to get to know each other. I started sharing with her how much I was struggling with what my role was before the trip and how I have seen how important the little things can be. Christine was so sweet and encouraging as we bonded and chatted more.

As we arrived to visit THE CUTEST grandmas and grandpas they greeted us with flowers and smiles in front of the elderly home. A few of us got to sit amongst all the sweet elderly ladies, while a group stayed upfront sharing stories and leading worship. The lady in front of me would start laughing and giggling as I would touch her back or smile at her. Such joy she had. Another lady next to me was quiet and shy but seemed happy to have me next to her. As our time was coming to a close at the elderly home, the shy lady next to me noticed my hair was coming out my hair tie. Before I even had a chance to fix it, she grabbed my head and started pulling my hair back. I looked up and saw Christine standing there with tears in her eyes. In that moment I felt God quietly say to me, “I see you”. Then I started crying. What a special and Holy gift I had received.



The mundane, the small acts, the faithful service, the ‘unseen’ moments, the times you comfort your crying baby, the times you give your best away, the moments you feel alone, the hours of sacrifice, the ways you treat a stranger, the things that make your heart break, the burdens you carry, the ways you WAIT, the moments of holy discontent, the ways you daily show up to work even when it’s hard, the risks you take and the ways you live out who God made you to be DO NOT go unnoticed.

Every time I retell this story it makes me cry. It was an ordinary moment that changed my heart in extraordinary ways.

M

_________________________________________________________________________
A current update on my financial fundraising:
Raised: 60%
Total to fundraise: $7,000 (for the year; $500 a month)


Here is the link to read the ways to you can donate:


And here is the direct link to donate:

Prayer for:
- Rest!!!!
- Visa application process (to go smooth and for it to be approved in a timely matter)
- For all of my fundraising to be completed before departure (in January 2014)
- As I prepare emotionally, physically and spiritually



 *if you would like a support letter sent to you, please email me your address: ohsomere@gmail.com